The recent completion of a 27,000 thousand square foot algae facility gives EDL access to state-of-the-art facilities for strain isolation, culture, characterization and growth optimization of both halophilic and freshwater algae. With offices, a comprehensive wet lab, a greenhouse, and six 1,200 square foot growth pods, the laboratory seeks to find novel high-lipid feedstock for biofuels while simultaneously researching potential bioproducts.
The facility is fully functional with algae cultivation taking place in all of the following ponds and raceways.
- 1 – 9,600 gallon large raceway
- 1 – 6,300 gallon large pond
- 1 – 766 gallon open tank
- 4 – 660 gallon medium raceways
- 9 – small raceways (+6 on order)
- 2 – 1000 gallon harvesting tanks